My Father in the Hospital

Bookmark and Share
We, the family, wander the yellow corridors of the ICU, searching for answers. The doctors and nurses turn away as we pass them, looking hard at the clipboards and folders they carry. They know that eye contact will mean a prolonged hallway conversation that will take them away from their real job, their medical job. They know that we will batter them with questions for which no answers exist in this world. Questions that begin with, "What's the probability that....?" or, "How much longer...," or, "how do we know when to stop..."

We hear the sounds of the machines as they beep steadily while dripping brown and white fluids into his veins. We hear the sharp and sudden blast that means one of the many numbers on the monitors we watch with vigilence has gone out of range. Some noises make the nurse come into the room, while others bring a whole platoon armed with new machines. After eight days we understand the rhythm of the machines. They become background music to this dance of dying.

I stand by his side holding his hand. I lean over him stroking his brow. With a soft voice, I take him on journeys to happier days. I tell him about the sweet, cool blue river that flows through him and around him, connecting him to all the healing forces in universe. I tell him he is surrounded by love - love from the people who stand around him now, and love from everyone who has ever loved him. I tell him that all that love enters his body with each breath and makes the waters of that blue river even sweeter.

On October 15 at 10:40 am, my father died. I, my brother, my husband, and Maisie, the woman who had been his caretaker for the past year, were by his side. There were three breathes and then no more.

His rabbi said that he was an "adam shem tov" - a man of good name. He said his death was a holy one.

He taught me about happiness, and he taught me how not to throw a baseball like a girl.

I love you Dad and will always miss you. Have a good passage.

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment