Relapse & Rebound

Bookmark and Share
Well...I had to go way up on my meds. This recent pain relapse wasn't going to disappear with each out-breath of meditation or by visioning a river of healing blue water flowing through my body. I haven't been at this level of meds since I first developed my pain syndrome. Even though I feel grateful and lucky that the meds do work for me - I have to say, in all honesty, each step up, each time I spilled one more pill onto the pile, I felt a sense of defeat. I really don't want to be a person who is dependent on pills.

Richard is happy to have me back as a whole person rather than the whipped and broken puddle of a person I am when the pain takes over. He is glad for the gift of medication. I pinball from glad to mad to sad, and eventually let the medication ball drop into the gutter and get on with daily activities.

There is, I admit, a unique joy I feel when the pain recedes but is still close in memory; and the charm of daily routines is not yet faded by complacency and habit. In these moments I can feel delight in the mundane, and I can lean into that "glad to be alive" sense that only comes from having survived something terrible.

So I pour the pills onto my open hand, count each one, notice its size and color, toss them into my mouth, and send them on their journey with a big gulp of water and a sense of gratitude,... and resentment.


{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment