I Really Hate Valentine's Day

Bookmark and Share

Valentine's Day is a complicated holiday for couples who are dealing with chronic illness or pain. It's supposed to be a day of champagne bubbles and dinners at romantic restaurants, chocolate and sweet kisses.

But what if alcohol and chocolate aggravate your symptoms and pain keeps you from being able to sit for too long, especially in a restaurant? How can you celebrate Valentine's Day with your sweetie? Do you even want to or do you prefer to let it slide by as just another day?

I was feeling rather bleak that my pain picked Valentine's Day to spike. Instead of cuddling with my partner, I was curled around a heating pad and focusing on all the things we would not do that day. And when I get in that state of tunnel vision, it's hard for me to extract myself.

Richard pointed out that even if we sat of the couch, side-by-side with the heating pad and the TV remote control, we were still being together. In some ways, without all the imposed artificiality of hearts and flowers removed, we could focus on what was truly important - not the symbols, but our love and tenacity.

He could switch channels while I switched temperature settings, and know that we have abiding love, and don't need Hallmark cards to prove it.

So I hope you all find your way to appreciate love for each other, on Valentine's Day, and any other day you choose.

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment